I haven’t been moving much lately.
You know sometimes you just get in a rut and out of the habit, and then all of a sudden it’s been three weeks and you’ve barely done any exercise? Well that’s me, right now.
So this week on my Facebook page I’ve set a weekly challenge on movement. Can you move every day this week?
My plan is:
Monday: Pilates class before work. I nailed this one, and find I tend to exercise more consistently when I do it in the morning.
Tuesday: Horse riding in Centennial Park in the afternoon. I love riding! When it’s going well I have a grin from ear to ear the whole time I’m on board. Love! So an afternoon on a horse, in the sun with some friends is the perfect way to get my daily movement in!
Wednesday: An after work yoga session. I saw a talk and yoga demo a little while ago by Duncan Peak, the founder of Power Living Yoga that was insanely inspirational. Then for Christmas I was given a yoga CD by him. I’ve done it once, so Wed night I’m breaking it out again to get a bit of downward dog on.
Thursday: I love the coastal path walk along Sydney’s beaches, so Thursday after work I’m going to get along it again. It’s been a while since I’ve pounded that pavement, and I love exercising in the great outdoors.
Friday: Day 5 of the movement challenge and I’ll be either going to a yoga class or going for an ocean swim. I haven’t totally decided, and it depends a bit on the weather. I love the ocean, but am a bit of a wimp with the temperature and like the water to be a balmy 24 degrees before I stroll right into it! So swimming’s my number one plan and hopefully it will be sunny, to help me get down there.
Now, it’s all well and good setting a plan, but how do you stick to it? I have had many well-laid plans derailed by lame-o excuses. I’m too tired, I’m too hungry, it’s too cold, it’s too hot, it’s raining, there’s a great episode of The Bachelor on right now, I should be cooking, I need to clean the flat…
You know the drill (and if you don’t – tell me your secret!!!)
So how am I going to stick to my plan this week?
- I’m going to be accountable – to all of you! I’ve announced all the moving I’m going to do this week, and that I need to get back in the groove, so if I don’t get it done I’ll have to announce it publicly. And that would be embarrassing… So why don’t you find a buddy? Tell her (or him) what you’re plan is, and then check in at the end. Being accountable to someone will help you get past any excuses that you may think of.
- I’m going to have my exercise gear laid out and ready to go, to come in from work, get changed and get moving on Wed and Thurs. If I don’t come in and unload, then hopefully I’ll just keep moving with the momentum of getting home from work. So in, change, out, move. That’s the drill for those two days. On Friday I have a course tutorial at 7am. I’m going to attend in my exercise gear, then get up and get moving as soon as the tutorial is over.
- Eat afternoon tea. That way I won’t walk in from work feeling ravenously hungry and willing to use that as an excuse not to exercise.
- Get rid of the TV remote. I’ve told you about this cunning plan of mine before, to take the remote to work and leave it there. TV sucks so much time if you let it, and when I’m tired or get home from work late or hungry I use any of them to convince myself I’ll just sit down on the couch for a minute… Couch sit – ok – but add in the TV and a few minutes can turn into an hour if I’m not careful! So no TV this week.
- Have a rainy day back up plan. Yoga is inside and can be done in my own time, in my own space. So if I’m going out for a walk and it’s raining, I can do yoga. If I’m going for a swim and the water’s freezing, I can do yoga. Obviously I’ll need to mix up the back up plan, but for one week, yoga will do.
Are you going to move with me this week?
Post your exercise plan below, and your excuse-busters, and The Happy Eater crowd will keep you accountable!